This post would probably have been better posted a month ago but it was too good not to share with you even though the pumpkin spiced latte has been truly replaced by the gingerbread. In contrast to the drink this is inspired by, my porridge has actual pumpkin in it. This porridge came about as a result of making a coffee, walnut and maple version and being really impressed at how well coffee goes with creamy porridge oats. Add in some pumpkin puree and yum! Additionally, cashew milk adds a smooth richness in almost the same way that full fat milk does. However, any milk that you have to hand should work.
I find that the trick to achieving really creamy porridge is to cook it slow over a low heat, and keep stirring. I’ve suggested using jumbo oats here as I think their firmer texture works really well with the “louder” textures and flavours of coffee and pumpkin. However, finer oats work perfectly well.
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- 40g jumbo oats
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 100ml (1/3 cup) cashew milk
- 100ml (1/3 cup) freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- First of all, toast the walnuts under the grill for a couple of minutes, keeping an eye on them so that they don't catch.
- Mix the oats, pumpkin, milk, coffee and spices together in a pan and gentle heat, stirring frequently. Add more milk if needed as the oats cook.
- Finally, serve and sprinkle over the walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup.